This survey has been prepared by the CfA Gender Equity Committee (CGEC) to assess status of gender equity in the entire CfA commmunity, and to better understand issues related to quality of work life and climate at the CfA.
We urge you to participate in this survey. To preserve the respondent's anonymity, the results will only be published in aggregate form or as anonymous quotes. It is important to stress that respondents may choose not to answer all the questions in the survey to protect their identity.
Note: Text fields are of limited length, please take heed of the instructions on length.
This work was based on a survey prepared by the Women in Science and Engineering Leadership Institute (WISELI), a research center at the University of Wisconsin, Madison to study the problem of the lack of diversity in the sciences and engineering. WISELI is a program funded by a 5 year Institutional Tranformation Award from the National Science Foundation ADVANCE program.
The CGEC thanks Michael Chesleigh and Julie Shaw of the CfA Computer Facility for developing the web-based implementation of this survey.
0. Which Division/Department do you choose as your primary affiliation for the purpose of completing this survey?
The Hiring Process
We are interested in identifying what makes the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) attractive to job applicants, and the aspects of the hiring process that may be experienced positively or negatively. Please think back to when you first were hired into a salaried (non-student) position to answer the following questions.
1. Which of the following job categories best describes your first CfA position?
2. Are you employed by?
3. In what year were you first hired ? (e.g. 1998)
4. Were you recruited to apply for a position?
5. Did you receive a recruitment bonus, relocation allowance or other ‘startup’ package?
6. Please rate your level of agreement with these statements about the hiring process. If you were initially hired into more than one Division or Department, please answer for the group that you consider to be your primary Division or Department.
7. What were the factors that positively influenced your decision to accept a position at the Center for Astrophysics?
8. What factors, if any, made you hesitate about accepting a position at
The Center for Astrophysics (limit to 3 lines)?
The Promotion Process
9. Have you been promoted while at CfA?
10a. (SAO) What was your initial position/grade?
10b. (Harvard) What was your initial position?
11. Please indicate your level of agreement with the following statements regarding your experience with the promotion process.
12. Please indicate your level of agreement with the following statements regarding your current compensation.
We are interested in a number of dimensions of the work environment at the Center for Astrophysics, including your feelings about your work allocation, resources you have for research, service responsibilities, and your interaction with colleagues.
13. What proportion of your work time do you currently spend on the following activities, and what proportion of your work time would you prefer to spend on these activities? (The total should equal 100% even if your appointment is not 100% time.)
14. How much do you agree or disagree with the following statements about the resources available to you?
15. Do you currently collaborate, or have you collaborated in the past, on research/development/education projects with colleagues? (if No, go to Question 16)
16. Please describe your involvement with Observatory committees:
17. Please indicate whether you currently hold, or have held, any of the following positions at the CfA
17h. If you currently supervise others, how many?
18. Have you held any of the following leadership positions outside of the Center for Astrophysics?
19. Do you have an interest in taking on any additional formal leadership position(s) at the Center for Astrophysics (If No, go to question 21)
20a. Do you feel that you have the opportunity to take on a formal leadership position at The Center for Astrophysics? (If Yes, Go to question 21)
20b. What is the most important barrier to these opportunities for you?
(If other, explain below limit to 3 lines)
21. How much do you agree or disagree with the following statements about your interactions with colleagues and others in your primary Division/Department?
22. How much do you agree or disagree with the following statements about your participation in the decision-making process in your Division/Department/unit?
Satisfaction with the Center for Astrophysics
We would like to know how you feel about the Center for Astrophysics in general.
23. How satisfied are you, in general, with your job at the Center for Astrophysics?
24a. How satisfied are you, in general, with the way that your career has progressed at the Center for Astrophysics?
24b. If not satisfied, Have you expressed your concerns to your supervisors?
24c. What three changes would most help to improve the CfA (limit to 3 lines for each)?
24d. What change would most help to improve the hiring process (limit to 3 lines)?
24e. What advice would you have for someone starting work at the CfA (limit to 3 lines)?
25. What single factor contributes most to your satisfaction at the Center for
Astrophysics (limit to 3 lines)?
26. What single factor detracts most from your satisfaction at the Center for
Astrophysics (limit to 3 lines)?
27. Have you ever considered leaving the Center for Astrophysics? If No, Go to question 30
28. How seriously have you considered leaving the Center for
29. What factor contributed most to your consideration to leave the CfA?
The Center for Astrophysics Programs and Resources
Both Harvard and SAO have implemented a number of programs designed to improve the working environment. In the questions below, please help us to evaluate some of these initiatives.
30. For each program available to you, please rate your perception of the value of the program and indicate whether you have used the program.
Perceived Gender Biases
Balancing Personal and Professional Life
We would like to know to what extent staff at the Center for Astrophysics are able to balance their professional and personal lives.
32. Please indicate how much you agree or disagree with the following statements about balancing your personal and professional lives.
33. Have you cared for, or do you currently care for, dependent children? (If No, go to Question 37)
34. We are interested in how the timing of raising children affects career trajectories. For each child that has been dependent on you in the past or at the present time, please list the year that child was born, the year that child entered your home (if different), and year the child first moved out of your home (e.g., to attend college).
34b. What kind of impact has having a child/children had on your career?
35. Do you currently use (have used), or need (have needed), any child care services to care for a dependent child? (If No, go to Question 37)
36. How satisfied are/were you with your child care arrangements?
37. Have you provided care for a family* member (non-child) or do you anticipate doing so? (if No, go to Question 39)
For the purposes of these questions, "family" refers to any individual related by blood or affinity whose close association with the employee is the equivalent of a family relationship.
38. We are interested in how the care of family members affects career trajectories. How much time on average do you, or did you, spend caring for an aging parent or relative per week?
39. What mechanisms could the CfA consider to help you in your child/family care? Please Give 1-4 rating (1=most important)
40 What is your current marital or cohabitation status? (If single, Go to question 44)
41. What is your spouse or partner's current employment status? What is your partner's preferred employment status?
42. Does your partner or spouse work at the Center for Astrophysics?
43. Please indicate how much you agree or disagree with the following statements about your spouse or partner's career.
44. Please indicate how much you agree or disagree with the following statements regarding your Division/Department's support of family obligations.
A person's health has been shown to be related to their work environment. Please answer the following questions about your health.
45. How would you rate your overall health at the present time?
46. How often do you feel:
47. Do you have (or had in the past) a significant health issue or disability? (If No, go to Question 49)
48. In dealing with this health issue or disability, how accommodating
within existing rules is (was):
49. Do you feel you are provided with a safe working environment?
(If No, explain below limit to 3 lines)
Gender Issues at the Center for Astrophysics
50. With respect to the recruitment of, climate for, and leadership opportunities for women at the CfA, how much would you agree or disagree with the following statements about your primary Division/Department?
As always, responses to the following questions will be kept confidential. Information from this survey will be presented in aggregate form so that individual respondents cannot be identified.
51. What is your gender?
51a. What is your ethnicity?
51b. What is your highest education level?
51c. Year earned highest degree: (e.g. 1977)
51d. Was the institution granting highest degree located in the US?