Natascha Finnerty, Export Compliance Officer for SAO and SI
Responsible for ensuring that SAO researchers and employees understand and comply with export and technology restrictions placed on research projects per the dual-use requirements of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and the military regulations of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Communicate an SI-wide export compliance policy and procedures to best ensure adherence with federal export control laws, regulations, and policies by the organization.
- Develop and maintain processes to categorize research and scientific projects: as public domain, fundamental research, EAR-controlled or ITAR-controlled.
- Perform denied persons screening on partner organizations, enhance IT and physical security according to best practices.
- Apply for any necessary export licenses required for foreign national partners or equipment to be exported or imported.
- Vet papers presented at conferences, international travel, imports and exports for compliance with export clearance, duty and international regulations.
- Export license management, including compliance with provisos and NDA requirements.
- Complete export license reporting to government authorities and retains necessary records.
- Provide training on export regulations and compliance processes at SI and SAO.
- Conduct internal reviews to assess adherence to the export compliance procedures.