Central Engineering (CE) is a distinct cost center within the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO). In addition to engineers, program managers, designers and technicians, we also have a prototype Machine Shop on site. This enables us to produce certain types of hardware from concept to completed assembly. SAO is a unit within the Smithsonian Institution (SI), which is subject to federal policies and procedures.
Information We Will Need:
- Requestor's Name and contact information
- Name of the project
- If you have consulted with one of our Engineering Staff or Machine Shop Mangement to ge an estimate of the amount of hours/materials you will need, please let us know with whom that was. We will also need a brief description of the discussion.
- If your project requires multiple taskes or workbreakdown structure, we will need these at this time to assist us in establishing an account for you.
- Brief description of what needs to be accomplished
- Staffing requirements, (i.e. senior mechanical engineer), or prosed specific staff names
- Number of hours for each of the staff types indicated above.
- Date when work must be completed and delivered
As stated above CE is a distinct cost center within the SAO organization. For information regarding on how we cost engineering and Machine Shop Services please (Click Here)
To start the process of obtaining CE's services please submit the Central Engineering Support Request Form
For further questions please do not hesitate to contact the Central Engineering Department Staff: