The Central Engineering Computer Systems Group (CESG) is responsible for the procurement, installation, and maintenance of all computer systems hardware in use in the department; and for providing liaison with the SAO Computation Facility on overall network issues. CE's computer network currently consists of approximately 45 Windows and Macintosh networked workstations, mobile computers, RAID servers and a variety of engineering support peripherals including plotting, printing and scanning devices.
The group is also responsible for the installation and maintenance of software required for both engineering design and development work and department administration.
Significant among these software packages are:
- SolidWorks, NX4 and Team Center Engineering for mechanical CAD and CAE and engineering project collaboration;
- Swanson Analysis' ANSYS for Finite Element Analysis (FEA);
- Mentor Graphics DX Designer and PADS-Power PCB for Electrical CAD;
- PV-WAVE and MatLab for Visual Data Analysis;
- Tools for general analysis, database, management and financial administration.
CESG also provides direct user support on the use of engineering software applications, and consultation on the procumbent of all manner of computer aided engineering equipment. They also ensure the regular backup and upkeep of CE's growing project design database and showcase of scientific instrumentation engineering.
The Central Engineering Systems Group is currently comprised of: