Job posting 18-50
Opening date: June 21, 2018
Closing date: August 17, 2018
TITLE:IT Specialist(APPSW),IS-2210, Grades 11 - 13; $67,643 to $125,335 Annually
TYPE OF POSITION: Trust Fund, Indefinite
DIVISION: - High Energy Astrophysicis Division
LOCATION: Cambridge, Massachusetts
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all qualified candidates. First consideration may be made 14 days after the opening date.
The employee is a highly-motivated system developer experienced in administering key components of software infrastructure, including search engines, relational databases, and cloud-based microservices. The developer is part of a small, agile team of talented, like-minded individuals who are solving difficult problems as a team.
1. Manage ADSís cloud-based computing infrastructure and system operations, ensuring the security, stability and scalability of the ADS services and its data
2. Work with team members to ensure software modules are production-ready, manage their deployment and monitoring
3. Collect metrics about system operations and service usage to support system monitoring, usage tracking and reporting
4. Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders in the design and development of new capabilities and the maintenance of existing functionality
5. Perform other duties as may be required
For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Candidates for grade 11 must possess a minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 9 in the normal line of progression for this occupation. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position such as knowledge of the Linux operating system, shell programming, and of a high-level programming language such as python; ability to manage reliable and scalable IT infrastructure, in particular on cloud computing platforms such as Amazon Web Services; knowledge of code versioning tools and repositories such as Git and Github; knowledge of the technologies used by the project: Nginx, Docker, Redis, PostgreSQL, RabbitMQ/Kafka, SOLR; and knowledge of authentication and authorization systems.
Candidates for grade 12 must possess a minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 11 in the normal line of progression for this occupation. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position such as proficient knowledge of the Linux operating system, shell programming, and a high-level programming language such as python; proficient knowledge of code versioning tools and repositories such as git and Github; knowledge of the technologies used by the project: Nginx, Docker, Redis, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, RabbitMQ, Solr; knowledge of continous integration and testing environments.
Candidates for grade 13 must possess a minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 12 in the normal line of progression for this occupation. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position such as as skill in managing and enhancing reliable and scalable IT infrastructure; and skill in data collection and integration to support analytics and business intelligence.
All academic degrees and coursework must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions. Undergraduate or Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
Grade 11: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: We will only accept applications on line for this position. For complete
information and online application procedures, please visit: USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.
Visit our SAO website.