Job posting 18-60
Opening date: July 24, 2018
Closing date: August 31, 2018
TITLE: Accounting Technician, IS-525, Grade 7; $45,707 - $59,417 annually
TYPE OF POSITION: Trust Fund (non-federal) Indefinite
DIVISION: - Financial Management Department
LOCATION: Cambridge, MA
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all qualified candidates.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Provides input into the automated PeopleSoft-ERP Accounts Payable Subsystem. Responsible for processing
vendor payments and resolving accounts payable problems.
- The employee will process on-line voucher payments from multiple funding sources. Verifies accuracy of vendor
invoice, reviews supporting documentation, determines whether partial or full payment is being requested. Reviews
line item voucher detail and determines if budget check certification can be administered. When discrepancies are
noted, the individual will take corrective action.
-Validates, monitors, controls and maintains accounts payable transactions. Reconciles purchase order and
voucher activity to the subsidiary ledgers and general ledger. Researches discrepancies between purchase order
encumbrances and voucher expenses, request purchase order modifications and process voucher adjustments as
needed. Reconciles purchase order and voucher activity in the subsidiary and general ledgers.
- Reviews delinquent accounts payable bills to determine validity and ensure all applicable interest processing
fees and penalty fees are calculated to the commercial customer.
- Monitors purchase order and accounts payable ERP system implemented requirements’ document tolerance
rules and match exception rules to ensure that payable transactions are not delayed due to internal requirements.
- Verifies the accuracy of the authorizing documents, reconstructs the payment history for the period involved,
determines the amount and extent of underpayment or overpayment, if any, and the procedures for disbursing
the underpayment or collecting overpayment.
- Reviews and identifies voucher with receipt match exceptions, document tolerance and budget check errors.
Works to resolve discrepancies arising from erroneous purchase order, invoicing, or receiving activity that has
delayed payment to vendors or credits to SAO by obtaining clarification from a requestor, buyer, vendor, or
receiver regarding any disputed transactions.
- Monitors status of scheduled payments and researches any delayed payments. Works with SI, banking and
vendor staff to resolve incorrect, missing, or misdirected payments. Initiates payment cancellation as necessary.
- Determines appropriate corrective action to address voucher-related errors, works with appropriate FMD staff
to rectify error.
- Assists in daily operational matters and special projects.
You must meet at least ONE of the requirements below:
Grade 7: You must have one year of full-time experience equivalent to grade 6 in the federal service related to
billing and accounts payable; working with automated accounting systems; using automated office applications
to run reports; and, preparing detailed invoices and supporting documentation for disbursed and cost reports.
Education is generally not applicable for the substitution of the 1 year of specialized experience. However,
graduate education may be credited in those few instances where the graduate education is directly related to the
work of the position.
OR a Combination:
Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications; for example, a half year of
experience and a half year of education in the field may be qualifying.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of
years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: We will only accept applications on line for this position. To view the
complete vacancy posting, requirements and the procedures to apply, please visit:
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.
Visit our SAO website.