Job posting 19-04
Opening date: November 7, 2018
Closing date: December 07, 2018
TITLE: Staff Assistant, IS-0301, Grade 9; $55,909 to $72,683 Annually
TYPE OF POSITION: Indefinite Trust Appointment. This is not a Federal position
DIVISION: - John G. Wolbach Library
LOCATION: Cambridge, MA
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all qualified candidates eligible to work in the United States.
This is the position of Staff Assistant in the John G. Wolbach Library, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The purpose of the position is to provide administrative support to the Division's staff.
1. Provides administrative, accounting, budgeting, and reporting support to the Library department. These duties include preparing and maintaining a variety of administrative documents, entering requisitions, purchase orders, petty cash reimbursements, and maintaining databases related to expense tracking and reporting.
2. Manages calendars and schedules associated with library services and resource renewals. Maintains office supply inventory.
3. Reviews and budget checks Library purchases for accuracy of accounting classification and budget status in online systems.
4. Submits requests for personnel actions; maintains staff database. Provides orientation and administrative help to new staff, visitors, and students.
5. Manages mailings by sorting incoming/outgoing mail and print subscriptions. Manages communications with vendors who provide services to office and library equipment (e.g. printers, shelving).
6. Maintains and certifies time and attendance submission for employees within the Library. Must be knowledgeable of regulations to assist employees in adhering to proper accounting of one's time.
7. Reviews and certifies the Library's Travel Authorization in Concur systems for accuracy of accounting information and required supporting documents.
8. Performs other duties (e.g. circulation desk staffing) in collaboration with Library staff as required.
Grade 9: One year of full-time experience equivalent to the grade 7 in federal service that is close or similar to the work of this position. The experience includes activities such as budget, office administration and support, experience working in a Library and interacting with patrons and vendors.
Master's or equivalent graduate degree or
Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree relevant to the position qualifies for grade 9.
Equivalent combination of education and experience is qualifying for grade 9.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: We will only accept applications on line for this position. To view the complete vacancy
posting, requirements and the procedures to apply, please visit: USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.
Visit our SAO website.