Job posting 19-24
Opening date: April 11, 2019
Closing date: July 10, 2019
TITLE: Staff Assistant, IS-0301, Grade 9; $57,043 to $74,152 Annually
TYPE OF POSITION: Indefinite Trust Appointment. This is not a Federal position
DIVISION: - High Energy Astrophyics Division
LOCATION: Cambridge, MA
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all qualified candidates. First consideration may be made 14 days after the opening date
This is the position of Staff Assistant in the High Energy Astrophysics Division at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The employee is located at the 15 Wayside Road, Burlington MA offices at the Chandra Operations Control Center (OCC), whose teams carry out mission operations for the Chandra X-ray Observatory (CXO), one of NASA's Great Observatories.
The CXO is the nation's major asset in the field of x-ray astrophysics. The Chandra OCC directs the CXO's flight, executes the observing plan of the Observatory, and receives the scientific data from the Observatory while its subcontractor provides flight operations for the Chandra vehicle. It is a highly sophisticated and dedicated computer center.
The purpose of the position is to provide administrative support to the OCC.
1. Facility Administration Participates in facility administration and coordination of a 25,000 square foot facility which may include implementing safety practices , implementing and administering operational activities regarding space and moves and acting as the coordinator/point of contact of the facility.
2. Data Systems Maintenance Is the software/hardware administrator to five technical leads of approximately thirty computer maintenance contracts at OCC. This includes monitoring contract information on expiration dates and updating information on contracts as well as participate in annual and quarterly budgeting process with IST Manager to present the maintenance contract summary for the OCC.
3. Procurement and Purchase Activities Initiate requisitions (~150 per annum), which includes assigning correct WBS task numbers and object classes, monitoring and tracking expenditures for Project budget activity, and reports on status, progress, and receipt of all expenditures.
4. Task and Program management Supports the CXC Program Administrator with Task Development for the annual OCC budget and other cost estimates by researching, identifying and compiling financial backup from CXO-maintained reports and historical documents in areas such as supplies and services, equipment, travel, educational opportunities, and other services.
5. Perform other general administrative duties as assigned such as, but not limited to, maintaining time and attendance records for designated employees; preparing necessary travel documents, authorizations and training forms; and performing various other administrative duties
One year of full-time experience equivalent to the grade 7 level that is close or similar to the work of this position. The experience includes activities such as general administrative support, facilities management as well as budgeting, forecasting, analysis and reporting for an organization.
Master's or equivalent graduate degree
Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's or equivalent degree related to the
position may be substituted to meet the experience requirements.
Combination of Experience and Education: Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications; for example, a half year of experience and a half year of education in the field may be qualifying. Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and/or proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: We will only accept applications on line for this position. To view the complete vacancy
posting, requirements and the procedures to apply, please visit: USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.
Visit our SAO website.