Job posting 19-80
Opening date: September 30, 2019
Closing date: October 15, 2019
TITLEPhysical Scientist, IS-1301, Grade 7, $46,634 - $60,626 Annually
TYPE OF POSITION: Trust Fund (non-Federal)Indefinite
DIVISION: - AMP Atomic & Molecular Physics Division
LOCATION: Cambridge, MA
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all qualified candidates.
This is a position advanced trainee position of Physical Scientist in the HITRAN group of the Atomic and Molecular
Physics Division of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The purpose of this position is to assist in
important updates or new inclusions of molecular spectroscopic data into the HITRAN database. The data needs to
be identified and evaluated.
1. Assist in identifying molecules for which IR and UV cross-sections are required for
planetary atmospheric research, but are either not available in HITRAN or of not sufficient quality.
2. Assist in searches for experimental or theoretical data for these molecules and identify the best data
through cross-comparing sources and atmospheric data, as well collecting feedback from the
atmospheric community. HITRAN formalism dictates that users are provided with only one
recommended source. The employee will have to create a set of programs that can automate the process
of data conversion and validation to whatever degree possible.
3. Compile data in a consistent format to be uploaded to cross-sectional representation on hitran.org
4. Write notices of new additions to HITRAN on Twitter and “Update” section of the HITRAN website.
5. Assist in updating HITRAN website to accommodate new data and instructions for the users.
All applicants must meet these Basic Requirements:
1. Degree: physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical
science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and
2. Combination of education and experience -- education equivalent to one of the majors shown in A above
that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus
appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic entry qualification requirements, applicants must have specialized experience
and/or directly related education in the amounts shown below:
Grade 7: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the grade 5 level in the normal line of progression
for the occupation. Experience at this level normally would have included working with spectroscopic data,
preparing scientific reports, working with scientific bibliographic databases.
NOTE: Education and experience may be combined for all grade levels for which both education and
experience are acceptable.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: We are only accepting online applications for this position. To apply, please visit: USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.
Visit our SAO website.