Job posting 20-05
Opening date: October 31, 2019
Closing date: November 22, 2019
TITLE: Maintenance Worker, WG-4749, Grade 8; $22.92 to $26.73 per hour
TYPE OF POSITION: Federal Career/Career-Conditional Appointment
DIVISION: - Optical and Infrared Astronomy Division, Fred Lawrence Whipple Observatory
LOCATION: Amado, AZ
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals (including Veterans
recruitment). Excepted Service employees may also apply to this announcement. Federal employees with permanent
status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities should apply to Job Announcement #20-06.
The Maintenance Worker will perform a variety of duties involved in the maintenance of the office complexes,
laboratories, machine and automotive shops, dormitories, telescope buildings, and other ancillary structures at
FLWO that are in 24 hour, 365 day/year operation; and the infrastructure associated with a remote site location
including the mountain road and water storage systems.
1. Performs a variety of duties in support of scientific projects and facilities and maintenance of the
Observatory's buildings, infrastructure, grounds, and mountain road, including the following:
- Painting: Performs spray or brush painting of walls, ceilings, exterior of buildings, doors, window frames,
siding, and trim. Masks surfaces preparatory to painting. Applies specialized coatings to roofs.
- Carpentry: Performs rough or simple type carpentry in the repair and maintenance of buildings and related
furnishings or structures. Duties may include framing, box construction, and concrete forms, making minor
repairs such as replacing broken boards, nailing down loose wall siding, and caulking doors and window sills.
- Welding: Welds parts used to repair such things as telescope structures, railings, or heavy equipment.
Depending upon proficiency, may assist other staff members who are highly specialized welders.
- Plumbing: Perform a variety of maintenance and repairs to the facility's plumbing fixtures. Repair faucets,
drains and toilets. Maintains waterless urinals. Utilizes specialized plumbing equipment to clean out
sink/shower drains and pipes.
- Roofing: Performs maintenance tasks such as patching leaky roofs and repairing flashing, masonry and
2. Maintains, monitors, services, and upgrades all FLWO on-site computers, data storage, and network
systems. These include computers integral to the telescopes, cameras, camera electronics, and
calibration systems. Identifies and specifies the IT infrastructure needed for efficient operation, ensuring
the compatibility of all on- site computing systems and their adherence to established hardware and
software specifications. Maintains familiarity with IT infrastructure at the MMT Observatory to ensure
mountain wide compatibility, and with software developed for use for scientific analysis to understand
the evolving requirements for the acquisition and storage of large scientific data.
2. Works cooperatively with scientific and other support staff on a variety of modifications and repairs to
telescope facilities. This may include such tasks as repairing seams of a telescope, the telescope dome or its
rotation motor assembly Assists Ridge Telescopes' staff with changing telescope instruments.
3. Operates heavy equipment such as forklifts, man lifts, front-end loaders, backhoes, cranes, etc. in open areas
and on level, hilly and/or mountainous terrain to move earth, rocks, sand, stumps and other equipment. Operates
snow plows and sanders in winter weather, transports optical and scientific equipment, and transports liquid
nitrogen Dewars required for telescope instruments' operation.
4. Performs a variety of routine tasks such as delivery and pick-up of light and heavy objects at the
Administrative Complex and mountain facilities, fueling all types of vehicles and heavy equipment on the
mountain, and performing minor servicing of all types of vehicles and heavy equipment. Serves as an alternate
driver for Tucson pick up of goods.
5. Assists with cleaning debris and rocks from culverts (150) in the mountain road in cooperation with co-
workers. Removal of fallen rocks is frequently required subsequent to rain storms and high winds.
6. Drives a 30-passenger bus on the mountain road during the months that public tours of the telescope facilities
7. Participates in maintenance of grounds as required, including tree trimming, weeding, and grass cutting on
the mountain road or at the administrative complex.
Your overall experience and training must indicate that you have the minimum knowledge, skills, abilities
needed to perform the duties of this position. There is no substitution of education for experience for this
position. Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement. Additional
information on the Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations can be found on OPM's web site
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: We will only accept applications on line for this position. To view the complete vacancy
posting, requirements and the procedures to apply, please visit: USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.
Visit our SAO website.