Job posting 20-18
Opening date: December 31, 2019
Closing date: January 21, 2020
TITLE: Industrial Property Management Specialist, Grade 05; $37,647 - $48,938 Annually
TYPE OF POSITION: Trust Fund, Indefinite
DIVISION: - FMD Financial Management Department
LOCATION: Cambridge, MA
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all applicants residing within the commuting area.
Note: First consideration may be made 14 days after the opening date. This is a career ladder opportunity with promotion potential to grade 7. Selection for this position to be made at
the grade 5 level. Candidates may be non competitively promoted to the next grade level , upon the recommendation of
the supervisor based on classification requirements, satisfactory performance and qualifications of the employee.
As a trainee Industrial Property Management Specialist within the property management function FMD, assists the
Accountable Property Officer (APO) by performing routine but increasingly difficult tasks required in the control
of Government property.
Duties include but are not limited to:
1. Assists with the collection of information to be submitted to SI for input into the automated PeopleSoft-
ERP Asset Management Subsystem.
2. The employee will assist in the periodic surveys, and annual inventory of accountable property in the hands
3. Assists in the coordination of the pickup/retrieval of excess property from various locations around SAO to
be gathered for final disposition as per sponsor, government and Smithsonian guidelines.
4. Assists in the maintenance of records for property that is loaned to individuals or entities.
5. Assists in the submission of required paperwork related to excess property to the various entities for the
purpose of final disposition, and assists the supervisor to ensure that disposition instructions are carried out
as granted, and records kept for easy availability for audit purposes.
6. Assists with supporting documentations during audit.
7. Works with employee’s designated as property custodians, and others as necessary, to ensure that property
management policies and requirements are followed as instructed by the supervisor.
8. Assist in the maintenance of SAO’s property control system.
9. Assists in daily operational matters and special projects.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
Undergraduate and Graduate Education: Major study - business administration, accounting, law,
marketing, statistics, production management, industrial management, or other fields related to the
General Experience (for GS-5 positions): Experience that provided an understanding of general business and/or
industrial practices, and that demonstrated the ability to deal satisfactorily with others. Such experience may have
been gained in purchasing (contracting), accounting/auditing, logistics, maintenance, production (manufacturing),
property utilization, marketing, industrial planning, storage or supply management, legal, financial, engineering,
quality assurance, inventory control, data processing, inspection of material, or similar activities. Journey level
experience in a trade or craft that provided knowledge of industrial operations and practices related to control of
property is also qualifying. Successful completion of a formal training program in fields related to the position to
be filled may also provide evidence of the required knowledge and skills.
Specialized Experience (for positions above GS-5): Experience that demonstrated:
* Skill in developing, implementing, administering, evaluating, monitoring, or coordinating programs,
policies, regulations, and procedures concerned with the management, control, utilization, or disposition of
personal or industrial property;
* Knowledge of the values and uses of property items, merchandising methods, marketing techniques and
outlets, or general trade practices related to the disposition of property; and/or the ability to understand and
evaluate business practices relating to the acquisition, control, use, consumption, maintenance, and
preservation of property;
Working knowledge of equipment, machinery, tools, materials, or other items of personal or real property;
* Knowledge of Government sales policies, regulations, and methods; and
* Knowledge of contract provisions, and ability to interpret and apply contract clauses and Government
In addition to the above:
4 years of course of study leading to a bachelor's degree, OR 3 years of experience one of which is equivalent to
Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels for which both education
and experience are acceptable.
For Qualification standards please click check https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: We are only accepting online applications for this position. To apply, please visit: USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.
Visit our SAO website.