Job posting 20-43
Opening date: April 27, 2020
Closing date: August 27, 2020
TITLE: IT Specialist(SYSADMIN/NETWORK),IS-2210, Grades 11-13; $71,274 to $132,064 Annually
TYPE OF POSITION: Trust Fund, Indefinite
DIVISION: - High Energy Astrophysicis Division
LOCATION: Burlington, Massachusetts
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all qualified candidates with U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident status. First consideration may be made 14 days after the opening date.
This is the position of IT Specialist on the Facility and Systems Team at the Operations Control Center for the Chandra X-ray Observatory, one of NASA's Great Observatories. The position is part of the High Energy Astrophysics Division of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The control center is located in Burlington, Massachusetts. The incumbent is responsible for IT systems management activities to support users and requirements of the OCC data systems.
This is a career ladder opportunity with promotion potential to grade 13 level. Candidates selected at the grade 11 or 12 grade level may be non competitively promoted to the next higher grade level up to the grade 13 upon the recommendation of the supervisor based on classification requirements, satisfactory performance and qualifications of the employee.
Duties at the grade 11 may include but are not limited to:
1. Install, maintain and troubleshoot desktop, server and networking equipment. Monitor and troubleshoot system elements to ensure that problems are discovered and resolved in a timely manner.
2. Evaluate OCC computing needs and network performance. Plan new services and expanded roles for the network. Design and implement network improvements such as system backup and recovery strategies, network performance enhancement, and optimization of system resources (disk, CPU, memory).
3. Provide user support. Serve as point of contact for OCC computer users requiring assistance or instruction in the use of the OCC local area network. Write utilities and scripts to improve the user experience.
4. Maintain current knowledge of hardware and software products, including those from Cisco and other manufacturers, as well as Windows and Linux products and public domain utilities.
5. Perform other related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
In addition to the duties listed above, duties at the grade 12 may include but are not limited to:
1. Design, recommend, and implement network security improvements. Resolve security problems. Stay current with Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) advisories and vendor-supplied security alerts, and implement security modifications as needed.
In addition to the duties listed above, duties at the grade 13 may include but are not limited to:
1. Act as Lead Systems Administrator, possessing comprehensive, intensive, practical knowledge of advanced systems techniques and technologies and skill in applying this knowledge to the development of new methods and procedures.
2. Interfaces with other Chandra group leaders, computer specialists, engineers, and scientists in evaluating needs for the LAN and system software, defining requirements, developing implementation plans, and supporting software design and development, Configuration Management, testing and integration, and other OCC and site needs.
3. Support Windows and Linux servers and desktops. Develop plans for implementing new services and expanding roles of servers.
4. Responsible for LAN security by staying abreast of Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) advisories and vendor-supplied security problems and fixes. Designs, recommends, and implements security improvements and security problem resolutions.
5. Conceive, implement, and make recommendations based on studies relating to OCC computing needs and performance including system backup and recovery strategy, LAN performance, optimization of systems resources (disk, CPU, memory), application evaluation, writing utilities such as shell scripts to provide LAN resource information to users, and others as required by the supervisor.
6. Interface with manufacturers of hardware and software to provide up-to-date information on available products. This includes review of Windows/Linux products, those available from third parties, and public domain utilities.
7. Serve as point of contact for OCC computer users requiring assistance or instruction in the use of the OCC LAN.
8. Fulfill other systems related responsibilities as requested by supervisor.
For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Candidates for grade 11 must possess minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 9 in the normal line of progression for this occupation. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position such as: configuring and running backup systems, creating users and groups, supporting Windows and Linux desktop applications and users, using ticket tracking system such as JIRA.
Candidates for grade 12 must possess minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 11 in the normal line of progression for this occupation. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position such as: configuring and managing authentication systems, configuring access control lists, configuring system monitoring and management, managing systems in a Vmware environment, managing ticket tracking systems such as JIRA.
Candidates for grade 13 must possess minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 12 in the normal line of progression for this occupation. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position such as : researching, developing and implementing new technologies, discovering and adjusting security systems, managing centralized storage such as NetApp, and configuring virtualized systems with Vmware.
All academic degrees and coursework must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions. Undergraduate or Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
Grade 11: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: We will only accept applications on line for this position. For complete
information and online application procedures, please visit: USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.
Visit our SAO website.