AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all qualified candidates.
Note: First consideration may be made 14 days after the opening date.
This is the position of IT Specialist (SYSADMIN/OS), Computation Facility, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The purpose of this position is to provide PC system management, system software development, and technical hardware and software expertise in support of departmental and administrative, as well as astronomical research computing.
1. Serves as the technical authority in the specialized field of PC System Configuration Build and Control. Defines and develops scripts that generate PC system builds. These builds are deployed on all CF-managed PCs at the CfA. Automates PC installs, application installs.
2. Serves as the Windows Active Directory administrator in Server operations that include Active Directory management and synchronization, Group Policy design, implementation and troubleshooting, Windows Server configuration, design, backup and restoration.
3. Performs security and software patching of all CF Domain systems, both workstations and Servers. Ivanti Security Controls (formerly Shavlik Patch Management) is the primary tool used to scan and deploy software updates and security patches to all CF managed systems. Performs custom scanning and patching of software updates requiring either customized Ivanti SC deployments or PowerShell\DOS batch script design to accomplish these limited case patch cases.
4. Provides technical support in the management of the Backup System for workstations and servers. Designs and implements systems to monitor nightly backup performance of all managed systems. Takes corrective action when backup performance is not meeting department objectives. Makes recommendation to the CF PC Manager regarding all changes or modifications to the existing backup system. Maintains USB recovery media used in the restoration of workstation and server systems as a disaster recovery operation.
5. Provides system management technical support in the area of PC system management. Investigates, explores, tests, and documents operating system changes and releases, ensuring that all applications and system support software is converted to and works correctly under new operating system software prior to its installation on distributed systems for general use. Maintains supported software, investigates and resolves systems problems, and documents new operating system features for users and systems administrators.
6. Performs system vulnerability testing for system managed by CF PC Support group. These systems can include PCs, Server, network scanners, network printers and all network connected systems or appliances.
Duties at the grade 13 include those above and:
1. Serves as the Senior Windows Active Directory administrator with proficiency in Server operations that include Active Directory management and synchronization, Group Policy design, implementation and troubleshooting, Windows Server configuration, design, backup and restoration. Deploys superior level of Windows Server troubleshooting skill.
2. Provides technical expertise in the design and management of the Backup System for workstations and servers. Designs and implements systems to monitor nightly backup performance of all managed systems. Takes corrective action when backup performance is not meeting department objectives. Makes recommendation to the CF PC Manager regarding all changes or modifications to the existing backup system.
3. Provides customer service by responding promptly to all customer inquiries by phone, email, or via Smithsonian's ServiceNow ITIL portal. Identifies, understands and interprets user needs to implement problem resolutions and make recommendations for system improvement, in accordance with SI and CF policy and procedures.
For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Candidates for grade 12 must possess minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 11 in the normal line of progression for this occupation. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position such as: creating and troubleshooting scripts for use in systems management; experience in Windows Active Directory and Group Policy management; and, experience with backup systems management.
Candidates for grade 13 must possess minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 12 in the normal line of progression for this occupation. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position such as: designing, developing and conducting quality control of scripts used in all aspects of systems management; experience in Active Directory and Group Policy management and troubleshooting and experience with backup systems management, archival and troubleshooting of all backup issues.
There is no substitution of education for experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE We will only accept applications on line for this position. For complete information about this position and the online application procedures, please visit: USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace