The purpose of the position is to manage all of the non-scientific aspects of the Division’s broad program of astrophysical research, and specifically to administer its sponsored project, human resources, and financial functions; supervise its administrative staff; provide effective administrative liaison within SAO and to HCO; and support the Division Associate Director (AD) and other Observatory senior management in long range planning and special projects as assigned.
- Participates with the SSP Associate Director and Division scientists in both near and long term Division and project planning; including staffing, funding, and space and other resources’ requirements. Coordinates with both SAO and HCO management and administrative staff to optimize Division operations.
- Administers all aspects of the Division’s sponsored project activities, both internally and externally funded. Maintains cognizance of the proposal and award administration requirements of relevant funding agencies. Supports PI’s in the development of budgets and schedules. Coordinates proposal preparation and administers awards. Uses SAO’s enterprise Earned Value Management (EVMS) software tools in these activities
- Formulates, justifies, and submits both long and short range budgets for internal funds; and manages resulting allocations. Authorizes all expenditures. Establishes and maintains controls to monitor expenses and restructures budgets as needed to accommodate changes in Divisional priorities or unforeseeable funding requirements.
- Oversees Division’s personnel administration. Participates with the Division Associate Director and project Principal Investigators in developing short and long range human resource needs. Maintains knowledge of personnel policies and procedures. Coordinates and assists in all personnel related activities
- Ensures the smooth administrative functioning of the Division. Serves as an information source to scientific staff on administrative issues. Evaluates, recommends, and implements improvements to administrative procedures. Supervises, reviews tasks, sets priorities, and establishes and distributes workload to administrative support staff.
- Performs other related tasks and participates in special projects as requested by the Associate Director or other senior staff.
You must have one year of specialized experience that is equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the Federal government performing the following duties: developing, coordinating and maintaining an extensive system of administrative and financial staff services, including budget administration, financial management and program analysis, evaluation of programs, proposal preparation, contracting and procurement, and personnel administration.
Conditions of Employment
You must be fully vaccinated for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) with Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized or FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine.
Have an approved Reasonable Accommodation granting an exemption from vaccine requirements. Please see additional information regarding reasonable accommodations below.
The Smithsonian Institution has a mandate requiring all employees (federal and trust), affiliated staff (including volunteers, interns, and fellows), and the contractors who work with us to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty location or work arrangement (e.g., onsite, telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. If selected, you will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination by November 22, 2021 or before appointment or onboarding with the Smithsonian Institution, if after November 22. The Smithsonian Institution will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required exemption from this requirement. This requirement applies to employees, affiliated staff, contractors who are working on-site, and those teleworking in whole or in part. Limited exemptions to the Smithsonian Institution’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate will be considered on a case-by-case basis for selected candidates who inform the Smithsonian that they cannot be vaccinated because of a disability, including certain medical conditions the Center for Disease Control (CDC) considers contraindications to the vaccine, or because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. Additional information and instructions regarding Smithsonian’s COVID-19 mandate will be provided at the time of selection.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE We will only accept applications on line for this position. For complete information about this position and the online application procedures, please visit: USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace