AREA OF CONSIDERATION: Open to all qualified US citizens and perm residents eligible to work in the United States.
This position is in the Financial Management Department (FMD), Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO), is responsible for administration and oversight of facilities operations at SAO leased property at Cambridge Discovery Park, implementing and providing oversight, in conjunction with the SAO Safety Officer, of all facility programs and services essential to maintain a safe, healthy and comfortable facility that includes laboratories, offices and storage space.
1.-Facilities Operation at Cambridge Discovery Park
• Provide oversight, efficient planning and coordination of CDP’s building and grounds operations and maintenance; utilize administrative knowledge and skills and broad technical knowledge of the operating capabilities and maintenance requirements of the facility; involves coordinating and directing work performed.
• Maintain 24-hour on-call status coordinating with Security and the landlord, providing initial response to emergent situations including: heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC), plumbing; electrical; leaks and related damage; pests, and security. Complete assessment of the event to determine any changes to avoid further incidents or remedy any deficiencies.
• Monitor Johnson Controls throughout the day to verify temperature for laboratories and sensitive scientific instrumentation as well as computer equipment. On a daily basis monitor plumbing, electrical and security systems, leaks and related damage and pests. Coordinate shuttle transport servicing CDP and other tenants, including rearranging service during weather or other shut-down situations; convey and work to resolve with the company rider complaints.
• Coordinate with landlord maintenance of or changes to facility equipment.
• Evaluate specific requirements for facility repairs, modifications and improvements and make recommendations regarding construction priorities to SAO management, review with landlord.
• Assure compliance with building certifications, safety, fire prevention, shelter-in-place, and security programs requirements. Schedule and be present for fire drills, Inergen fire suppressant system inspection, crane inspections, gas generator inspections and UPS system inspections. Test emergency lighting system and laboratory safety equipment. Check fire extinguishers on a monthly basis. Serve as liaison with CDP landlord’s maintenance contractor and building security staff.
• Serve on the SAO Safety Committee as CDP Facility Manager and coordinate the resolution of issues raised during periodic safety inspections by SI and others.
• Perform ongoing preventive, corrective, emergency, modification, and relocation maintenance, conducting tests and analyses of system performance, performing quality assurance evaluations and using judgment to evaluate conditions that might require intervention. Provide to SAO and SI administration various periodic reports regarding safety and equipment inspections in addition to maintenance reports.
• Develop and maintain operating procedures for the Cambridge Discovery Park facility.
2. Administer SAO Paid Parking Program
• Administer SAO annual and daily parking program at multiple sites; serve as the primary information resource for employees and guests.
• With the parking policy review group, as well as input from the SAO Director’s Office, actively participate in the development and revisions, as necessary, of SAO parking policy.
• Annually issue permits for all SAO parking lots; ensure that all appropriate applications, payroll deduction authorizations and receipts are properly recorded and distributed; maintain database of participants.
• Initiate purchase requisitions for parking-related supplies, account for and secure access cards and hang tags, which are considered to be assets of a Smithsonian Institution revenue-producing activity.
• Work with accounting staff to reconcile daily and monthly parking fees collected and verify bank deposit. Research parking discrepancies and use judgment to determine fair resolution.
3. Alternate Accountable Property Officer (Alt-APO)
• As Alternate Property Officer (Alt-APO) work with Accountable Property Officer (APO), and in his/her absence engage in all property-related activities, including scheduling, inspecting and submitting documentation to ensure continuous surveillance of all property functions. Resolve property matters with SAO staff and make recommendations to the APO and Supervisor regarding noncompliance and other significant problems.
• Work with APO to coordinate acquisition and disposition of excess property from General Services Administration (GSA), sponsors and SI. Assist with Boards of Survey to investigate loss, theft or damage of property and to request loans and donations of property to suitable recipients.
• Participate in conducting annual physical inventories and audits of government and trust properties in possession of SAO and subcontractors to ensure adherence to the requirements of the SI/SAO property management system, and performance of full reconciliation of all accountable property.
• Participate in the Special Programs and Procurement export control (ITAR) function.
• Assist APO with maintaining accurate recording of property through SI Asset Management System. Assist APO in compiling inventory information for reporting and audit purposes.
4. Perform related duties as required.
Experience GS 09: One year of full-time experience at the GS-07 level (or equivalent) that is close or similar to the work of this job. The experience includes activities such as providing administration and assisting in the oversight of a facility program or services.
Application Procedures: We are only accepting online applications for this position. To apply please visit USAJOBS
For the latest information on the COVID-19 vaccination requirements and its impact on your application, click on Smithsonian Institution’s Frequently Asked Questions.
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.