AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all qualified candidates with U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident status. First consideration may be made 14 days after the opening date.
This is the position of Information Technology Specialist (Ground System Operator), High Energy Astrophysics Division (HEAD), Chandra Mission Support Team of the Operations Control Center (OCC), Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The incumbent will report to the OCC Lead Console Operator. Activities will include real time flight console support to operate the OCC systems and configure them for support of changing operational requirements.
- Serve as the real time point of contact to provide services in operating and resolving problems that may arise with the command and control systems for the Chandra Operations Control Center (Chandra-OCC).
- Set up and configure the control center system to support multiple training, verification, and test configurations required to prepare for Chandra flight operations during the operations development phase of the program.
- Monitor the state of the OCC Data System including functions dealing with the internal interfaces and telemetry processing.
- Implement internal configuration changes, evaluate the impact of the changes, and translate FOT operational requirements into system or tool reconfiguration requirements.
- Perform systems administration and configuration control and establish interfaces with all OCC external resources required to support verification, testing, and flight operations.
- Support OCC system operations and develop required operations procedures for training and testing to support Chandra launch, and continued orbital operations for the duration of the program.
- Develop and maintain console operator procedural documentation that reflects the current implementation of the OCC Data System and FOT/console operator procedures.
- Train staff in new techniques and procedures as they develop.
For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Candidates for grade 11 must possess a minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 9 in the normal line of progression for this occupation. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position which should demonstrate proficiency in all aspects of ground operations, to be able to function as a technical expert in performing GOT operations, practices, and procedures and support systems engineering duties.
All academic degrees and coursework must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions. Undergraduate or Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
Grade 11: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or
3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
Qualification requirements are derived from the Office of Personnel Management's Qualification Standards Handbook for General Schedule Positions viewable on the web at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/IORs/gs1300/1330.htm
For the latest information on the COVID-19 vaccination requirements and its impact on your application, click on Smithsonian Institution’s Frequently Asked Questions.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: We will only accept applications online for this position. To view the complete vacancy posting, requirements and the procedures to apply, please visit USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.