INSTRUCTIONS FOR GENERAL OBSERVING STAGE-2 COST PROPOSAL
THE DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF THE CYCLE 20 STAGE 2 COST PROPOSALS FOR:
THE CHANDRA GENERAL OBSERVING PROGRAM PROPOSALS IS 6 PM EDT, 27 SEPTEMBER 2018.
NOTE CHANGE IN SUBMISSION: Cost Proposals are no longer submitted using the RPS System. Cost Proposals will be submitted via email using Adobe PDF forms. See revised submission instructions below.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- Awards will be made at the allocated budget amount or the requested cost proposal amount, whichever, is less.
Cost proposals exceeding the allocated budget amount will not be considered and award will be
made at the allocated budget amount. Those cost proposals exceeding 20% of the allocated budget
amount will be required to be revised and resubmitted.
- Upon completion of the Stage 1 Peer Review, investigators will receive three letters via email. The first letter will inform the investigator that the peer review panel has recommended their proposal be implemented as part of the Chandra Observing Program as well as a copy of the panel's evaluation. The second letter will be sent to all US-based investigators inviting them to submit a Stage 2 cost proposal if funding is required to carry out the investigation. This letter will contain the approved budget amount and instructions for the submission of the cost proposal. The third letter will provide the investigator with the final approved amount for the award and information regarding award procedures.
- When a U.S. investigator obtains grant funds for a project that involves non-U.S.
investigators, no funding may flow through the U.S. investigator to the non-U.S. investigators.
This includes funding for travel for the non-U.S. investigators.
- Grants awarded for programs that do not include new Chandra observations (e.g., Archival Research and Theory/Modeling projects) will be issued at the beginning of the Cycle, defined as 1 January of the new Cycle. Those grantees that include new Chandra observations, including joint projects, will receive their awards when the data from their first observations have been successfully processed and delivered to the PI, or the start of the Cycle, whichever is later.
- The transmittal email is not part of the cost proposal. Do not put additional information that you want to be considered during evaluation of the cost proposal in the transmittal email. If there are any questions or concerns, the proposing institution should contact the SAO Grant Awards Section prior to submitting the proposal.
- Note that all awards are subject to the availability of funds from NASA. Until an award is made and fully funded, there is no guarantee that the recommended financial resources will be available.
Each PI and separately funded Co-I institution shall submit their stage 2 cost proposals via email using the instructions below.
Forms and instructions for the Chandra Cover Page and Budget Form are on our web site at:
A STAGE 2 COST PROPOSAL CONSISTS OF:
- The Chandra Cost Proposal Cover Page Form with institutional signature.
Note that the Institution Administrative Contact information and Investigator information must be
complete. This includes the email addresses for both the Administrative Contact and the Investigator.
- A Budget for the PI using the Chandra Budget Form.
The PI's Budget Form must include the totals of the Co-Is' budgets as line items in Section J
of the Form. Note: The dollar amounts in Section J must match exactly the dollar amounts submitted
by the CoI institution's cost proposal.
- A succinct one or two page Budget Justification. The Budget Justification should include a breakdown
of the work assignments for all funded investigators taking part in the investigation. The Budget Justification
must describe the basis of estimate and rationale for each proposed component of cost, including direct labor,
subcontracts/subawards, consultants, travel, other direct costs, and facilities and equipment. The Proposer must
provide adequate budget detail to support estimates. The Proposer must state the source of cost estimates
(e.g., based on quote, on previous purchases for same or similar item(s), cost data obtained from internet
research, etc.). The Proposer must describe in detail the purpose of any proposed travel in relation to
the grant and provide the basis of estimate, including information or assumptions on destination, number of
travelers, number of days, conference fees, air fare, lodging, meals and incidentals, etc. If destinations
are not known, the Proposer should, for estimating purposes, make reasonable assumptions about the potential
destination and use historical cost data based on previous trips taken or conferences attended.
The Chandra Science Proposal Number and Title must be included
on the top of the Budget Justification. Do not attach a copy of the Science Proposal as we have the
proposal in our files.
- A written request for approval for the purchase of equipment costing $5,000 or
more, if applicable. The form can be found on our website at:
- A List of Current and Pending Support Information must be provided for all ongoing and
pending projects and proposals that involve the proposing PI. This information must be provided
for each of the following two categories of awards that may exist at the
time of the proposal submission deadline:
- Current Awards (for any of the period that overlaps with the submitted proposal), and
- Pending Awards (including the proposal being submitted to CXC).
For each of these two categories, using a format of the proposer's choosing, provide the
following information: name of the investigator, project title, sponsoring agency, period-of-performance,
amount of award or total proposed budget, and commitment by PI in terms of a fraction of a
full-time equivalent (FTE) work year. If the PI has no Current or Pending Support, then a statement to
that effect must be included. The Chandra Science Proposal Number and Title must be included
on the top of the Current and Pending Research Support pages.
- A copy of the applicant institution's Federally-Approved Indirect Cost (IDC) Rate Agreement.
- The Assurance Form regarding NASA restrictions on funding activities with China is no longer required as a separate document. The requirement is now included in the Call for Proposals as well as the Terms and Conditions of the award.
- Any documents that contain proprietary information must clearly be marked "PROPRIETARY".
COST PROPOSAL SUBMISSION PROCESS.
- The signed cost proposal must be scanned into a single, complete Adobe PDF file. The signed and scanned Adobe PDF copies of the
cost proposal shall be submitted by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For PIs, the e-mail subject line must state "Chandra Cost Proposal #XXXXXXXX PI". (Replace Xs with assigned Chandra
Science Proposal number.) If the submission is for a CoI, the e-mail subject line must state "Chandra Cost Proposal
#XXXXXXXX CoI". (Replace Xs with assigned Chandra Science Proposal number.) Do not use any other e-mail address for
submission of the cost proposal.
- Cost proposals may also be submitted using a courier service or the U.S. Mail. In this case each proposing
institution shall submit an original and 1 copy of the Stage 2 cost proposal information as described above. All
original cost proposals must have the original signature of the institution's authorized signatory.
Cost proposals submitted using U.S. Mail or courier service shall be sent to:
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
60 Garden Street, Mail Stop 22
Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
Courier Delivery (i.e. FedEx):
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
100 Acorn Park Drive, Mail Stop 22
Cambridge, MA 02140-2302
We expect to complete the Stage 2 Review by late-November, at which time PIs will be informed of the final
recommended funding levels for their proposals.
CoI grants will be issued directly to the CoI's institution to avoid double charging of institutional overheads.
Questions regarding cost proposals should be directed to the