The schedule for lectures is online at the 2007 Solar Physics Summer School web page.
- The Powerpoint slides for both lectures are available here:
- Lecture 1: Observations (June 11, 10.8 Mbytes)
- Lecture 2: Theory (June 13, 5.9 Mbytes)
- (Large movie files could not be packaged with the Powerpoint files; they are in this directory if you want to see them individually. To work properly in a slide show, they should be put in the same local directory as the Powerpoint file.)
- I've written a set of supplementary notes (PDF format, 77 Kbytes) on various ideas about the "energy balance" in the solar photosphere, chromosphere, and corona. These may be useful background reading for the 2nd lecture on theory.
- Some additional background on the Parker solar wind problem (PDF format, 0.27 Mbytes), including a new analytic solution, is given in a paper that I wrote in 2004 for the American Journal of Physics (geared toward an advanced undergraduate audience).
- Michele Dougherty of Imperial College, London, has written a very nice 14-page handout on the Sun and space physics (PDF format; 2 Mbytes; original version here) that complements the other material given here.
GO BACK to Steven Cranmer's home page, or to the 2007 Solar Physics Summer School web page.