How the DSS-2 Images were Created:
- The DSS-2 Images were all obtained from the ESO website at http://archive.eso.org/dss/dss.
- They were downloaded as *.fits files and then modified in the program ds9.
- The color was adjusted for ease of viewing using the "bb" color scheme.
- One contour line was inserted. The purpose of this contour is to give a general idea of the boundaries of each core. To choose the extinction level at which the contour was placed, a value was chosen inside the core and outside the core and then the two were averaged. With some minor adjustment this usually gives a contour that serves the intended purpose. In a few cases, where the contrast at the core boundaries was not definitive, the contour was not inserted.
- A box was also inserted to depict the position and size of the SIRTF map.
- The original fits file and the contour are made available for download below each jpg image.