COVID-19 update: The observatories have mostly returned to normal operation but travel restrictions may apply. Visitors to LCO are currently required to spend 3 days in "bubble mode" and have a Chilean government Mobility Pass.
6.5m MMT telescope, located on Mt Hopkins in Arizona. Approximately 27 dark + 15 grey + 27 bright nights are currently available to CfA Scientists per 6 month semester.
6.5m Magellan telescopes, located on Las Campanas in Chile. Approximately 9 dark + 6 grey + 9 bright nights are currently available to CfA Scientists on each telescope per 6 month semester.
Fred Lawrence Whipple Observatory (FLWO), located on Mt Hopkins in Arizona. The 1.2m telescope is dedicated to imaging; the 1.5m telescope is dedicated to spectroscopy. Approximately 66 dark + 33 grey + 66 bright nights are available on each telescope per 6 month semester.
- Available? The availability of instruments is indicated below. PI instruments generally require the permission of the PI to propose and use.
- Queue? MMT and FLWO instruments are mostly run in queue mode by the observatories, Magellan instruments are not. For instruments run in a queue, PI's submit their observing plan and target catalog before the scheduled observing run.
- Remote? MMT Blue Channel, and now most Magellan instruments, can be operated by PI's remotely via internet.
- Service? MMT and FLWO queue instruments are run by service observers at the observatories. At Magellan, we now have a service observer available to CfA PIs; the expectation is that the service observer will observe most Magellan nights unless PIs choose otherwise.
|Optical||KeplerCam - CCD imager||YES||YES||no||robot|
|Optical||FAST - moderate dispersion single-slit spectrograph||YES||YES||no||YES|
|TRES - high dispersion single-fiber echelle spectrograph||YES||YES||no||YES|
|Optical||Binospec - moderate dispersion multi-slit spectrograph and imager||YES||YES||no||YES|
|Hectospec - moderate dispersion 300-fiber spectrograph||YES*||YES||no||YES|
|Hectochelle - high dispersion 240-fiber echelle spectrograph||YES*||YES||no||YES|
|Blue Channel - moderate dispersion single-slit spectrograph||YES||no||YES||no|
|MMT Cam - small field-of-view imager||YES||YES||no||YES|
|SPOL - imaging spectropolarimeter||Contact PI|
|Near-IR||MMIRS - multi-slit spectrograph and imager||YES||YES||no||YES|
|ARIES - adaptive optics imager and spectrograph||no**|
|MMT-Pol - imaging polarimeter||no**|
* Hectospec/chelle are rarely scheduled in Dec-Jan because of a low-temperature operational limit.
** MMT Adaptive Optics System is offline for upgrades; it is not expected to be available for proposals until 2023.
|6.5m Magellan I = Baade||Available?||Queue?||Remote?||Service?|
|Optical||IMACS - moderate dispersion multi-slit spectrograph and imager||YES||no||YES||YES|
|MagE - moderate dispersion single-slit echellette spectrograph||YES||no||YES||YES|
|Near-IR||FourStar - wide-field imager||YES||no||YES||YES|
|FIRE - high dispersion single-slit echelle spectrograph||YES||no||YES||YES|
|6.5m Magellan II = Clay|
|Optical||Megacam - wide-field imager||YES||no||YES||YES|
|LDSS-3 - moderate dispersion multi-slit spectrograph||YES||no||YES||YES|
|MIKE - high dispersion single-slit echelle spectrograph||YES||no||YES||YES|
|M2FS - fiber fed multi-object spectrograph (planning) (reductions)||Contact PI||YES||YES|
|IFUM - integral field unis for M2FS||Contact PI||YES||YES|
|PFS - high dispersion single-slit echelle spectrograph||Contact PI||YES||YES|
|PISCO - parallel imager||no||no||YES|
|Near-IR||WINERED - Warm INfrared Echelle spectrograph||Contact LCO||yes|
|MagAO - adaptive optics imager(s)||Contact PI||no|
[Updated Sept 6, 2022 by WRB.]