Applications Open: September 26, 2022 - December 2, 2022
Working within the Department of Astronomy, fellows will develop independent research and earn experience that will launch their careers as faculty leaders. This includes forming a vision of broad impact and preparing for success in the next levels of academic research. Fellows will benefit from access to our observational and computing facilities, mentoring in research and professional development from primary faculty sponsors, collaborations within the large community of CfA scientists, and opportunities for teaching and public outreach. This is a three year fellowship, with annual appointments contingent on satisfactory performance.
The Fellowship for Future Faculty Leaders (FFL) is part of an initiative to increase equity, diversity, and inclusion in research, teaching, and leadership in astronomy. We seek individuals who will develop and carry out an independent research program in astronomy, and whose research, educational, and mentorship activities will also contribute to increasing representation and inclusion in this field.
Online admissions materials and references are due before the deadline.
Please review the FAQ before beginning the online application.
The first time you go to the below link you will need register for a login password. When you see the Login page, click on the "Update Account" button. This will take you to a form where you will create your account. Make sure that you remember your password so that you can return to the same application to finish your application, or to make changes.
The online application can be found at:
Application Instructions & Required Materials
The following documents must be submitted in PDF or using the provided text box only.
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Publications list
3. Combined statement on research and broader impacts (6 pages)
- Research statement
- Title and summary* (1500 characters)
- Full statement on prior and current research interests (single document)
- Broader impacts
- Combined statement (single document) covering:
- past teaching, mentoring and outreach activities;
- plans for future activities in both scientific research and work that will increase the participation of traditionally underrepresented groups in astronomy through teaching, advising and/or mentoring;
- and a list of potential host research groups at Harvard.
- Combined statement (single document) covering:
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Email addresses for letter writers are required. Writers will receive a link via email to upload their letters in PDF directly to an application. Applicants will be copied on these emails and can check the status of submission by visiting their application and clicking "View Application Status".
* We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, sex or national origin.
When is the deadline?
Complete your application by 23:59 Eastern Time on Friday, December 2, 2022.
What is the term length for FFL?
The fellowship is 3 years, renewed annually upon review.
How do I apply?
Visit the "Fellowship Application Login". Select "Update Account," then "Register." On the Registration page, enter your full email address and a password of your choice. Repeat the password for verification and select “Register Now.”
Can I print the application form and mail it?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to submit your application online.
Must I have already received my doctorate to apply?
Applicants may apply in the final year of their doctoral program, but must be on track to satisfy all requirements of the degree before beginning the fellowship, including successfully defending one’s thesis. Applicants will need to provide verification of completing her or his doctorate.
If I am also applying for other fellowships at the CfA, do I need separate letters of recommendation sent for each fellowship, or will they be shared?
All documents must be provided directly to the application for FFL. Letters of recommendation received for the FFL will not be shared among applications for other fellowships at the CfA and vice-versa.
What format is required for uploading files?
All files must be in PDF.
Can I edit my application after submission?
Yes. You may access your application until the deadline. All information and documents can be updated and replaced as needed until the deadline.
What should I do if I have an issue with my password?
In the "Fellowship Application Login" page select “Reset Password.” After following the steps, your password will be reset and a new one will be emailed to you.
How will I know if all my application materials have been received?
After logging in, select “View Application Status” to check whether any sections in your application remain incomplete. In addition, when viewing your application online, you can review your uploaded documents by clicking on the button beside the filename.
I want to withdraw my application.
To withdraw your application, email email@example.com stating your full name and any other relevant information.
Where can I get more information? I have questions that are not answered here.
Direct any questions or report any issues to firstname.lastname@example.org .