- Concept Development Support:
- CE staff can provide expert technical consultation to scientists from the earliest phases of an instrument's development, utilizing their combined decades of experience to suggest hardware solutions to scientific challenges. This conceptual support can include pre-proposal and proposal support.
- Pre-Proposal Support:
- Engineering support is available to scientists who may be in the preliminary phases of evaluating opportunities for new initiatives, or who are developing instrument concepts and preparing cost estimates for submission to the CfA Director in support of requests for internal proposal preparation funds.
- Proposal Support:
- CE can provide a team of senior engineering staff from representative disciplines to work with scientific investigators to prepare instrument proposals. Engineering will generate and document designs; prepare product assurance and manufacturing plans; develop detailed work breakdown structures and estimates of required labor, materials, and equipment; create schedules; and participate fully in the preparation of the proposal. Engineers will also participate with scientists in proposal technical reviews or briefings as requested.
For more information about Engineering and Machine Shop Service Costing (Click Here)
To start the process of obtaining CE's services please submit the Central Engineering Support Request Form
- For more information or to arrange for the appropriate multi-disciplinary support, contact:
- Director of Central Engineering:
- Jim Shaw (617) 495-7352
- Central Engineering Administrator:
- Melinda Dillon (617) 496-7990
- Central Engineering Staff Assistant:
- Jason Araujo (617) 496-7814